When it comes to game day, be sure your canine celebrates the kick off to football season with this delicious Pwetzels dog treat recipe from our friends and social media sensations, Hammy & Olivia.
Pwetzels Delicious Dog Treat Recipe
2 large eggs, divided
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, plus more as needed and for dusting
1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Separate one of the eggs; put the white in a medium bowl and the yolk in a small bowl. Beat the yolk with a fork and set aside.
- Add the mashed sweet potato, the remaining whole egg, and the oil to the bowl with the egg white. While mixing, add the flour, a little at a time, until the mixture forms a soft dough that is not sticky to the touch. (You may need more or less flour depending on the amount of moisture.) Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and form each one into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough ball into a rope, about 10 inches (25 cm) long. With a hand holding each end of the rope, pull the ends away from you, then twist them around each other about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the ends to create a loop at the bottom. Fold the twisted half over the lower loop and attach the ends to the center of the loop to form a pretzel shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
- Brush the pwetzels with the beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
More about Barkcuterie by Hammy & Olivia
Now you don’t have to exclude your fur babies from the festive food with over 25 themed snack boards for holidays, special occasions, milestones, and just because. This special take on the classic charcuterie board is for every human’s best friend. Curated by social media’s favorite corgis, Hammy and Olivia (@hammyandolivia), each artfully designed barkcuterie board is chock-full of delicious homemade and store-bought dog treats. You’ll have fun making the quick and easy boards and even more fun sharing all the goodies with your dog. For cat owners, don’t worry! Hammy and Olivia have included a cat board for their feline friends. So, dress up your pup, get the camera ready, and celebrate.
Including over 35 easy-to-make recipes for pupcakes, biscuits, donuts, and pupsicles and adorable photos of Hammy and Olivia, Barkcuterie is the ultimate way to let your dog know how much you love them.
Brandie Ahlgren is founder and editor of CityDog Magazine. She, and her team of dog-loving editors, dig up the best places for you to sit, stay and play with your four-legged friends. Brandie, 12-year-old boxer Thya and Mexican foster failure Pancho, reside in West Seattle and can often be found hanging out at Westcrest Dog Park.